Friday, March 28, 2008

WELCOME HOME!!!!

Our little man was returned to us today! I gotta tell ya I was missing him so bad. I begged and begged Jake to call and check on him! Jake called the man and this is what he said, "Man! Berkley is the BEST dog I have EVER worked with!" [remember he's a hunting dog trainer] He went on and on about how he did this and how he did that so wonderfully and it was so fun for him to watch him and that you could see that he was just CRAVING to get out there and run and "work" a field. But when he would take him home it was a totally different story... he said that Berkley would first explore each room and then settle himself at the front door with is face in his paws and cry. Berkley was so 'home sick' that he only ate 1/2 a cup of food in the 4 days that they had had him!

They had friends come over that had a little girl around Elizabeth's age and Berkley just perked right up again! ...but as soon as they left Berkley begain to sob again. He said "I think he misses the baby."


They fell him love with Berkley and his tender heart very quickly, but they were very concerned about his home sickness and that he had never in all his years seen a dog so depressed. The man said "Lets give it a few more days."



They really wanted to make it work. We prayed that the right thing would happen whatever that was and that Berkley would be ok. Friday came and Berkley was no better so the man called Jake and said "I'm going to take him out one more time to say goodbye and then I'm going to bring him home."




The man sat and talked with us for a long while, giving me direction as how I might better "control" Berkley. -He told us that his wife cried that they had to send him back. He told us that we have the best dog ever and that we have a companion for life. Berkley is OUR dog forever. He asked if he could take him out every once in a while and that if we were ever going away for the weekend or on vacation to please call him and he'd watch him! Then he told us that he was SO impresses with Berkley that he found a breeder and was going to get a German Wire Haired pup of his own THIS AFTERNOON!


We are so happy to have him back home! Elizabeth screamed and giggled when she saw him ran to him and patted him. After Berkley had sufficently loved everyone he ran straight to his bowl and chowed down then completely PASSED OUT on the floor. Life is at peace with our family together again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crystal said...

that's so sweet! i'm glad he's home and happy.

Dawn said...

Oh my goodness...That was so sad to read, but happy he got to be with you again!

Crystal said...

YAY YOU GUYS! that's great news!! i died when we had to give sophie away. glad we still have zeus though! dogs are a big pain in the butt sometimes, but they bring so much into your life. and they're WONDERFUL for kids! good for you. and the story of him passing out when he got home totally reminds me of our dogs when we've had to leave them in kennels when we're out of town. it's like they haven't slept in days, and the moment they come home they crash!

Anonymous said...

Libby I am soooooooo happy for you!
Love ya-
Susan

Courageous said...

it sounds like everything works out well in the end. I'm glad you met that man and Berkley is happy again.