Wednesday, June 6, 2007

One Poopy Night

I figured if I'm going to put the good then I'm going to put the "not so good" too.

Info: Yesterday me and Elizabeth went to the doctor (that was the soonest appointment I could get from when we were sick last week) We both got some antibiotics, I got a pregnancy test (negative) and Elizabeth got some shots (4). ")

By the way: Elizabeth is now 24 1/2 inches long (43%) -That means she's a little short. She weighs 13.7 lbs now (31%) -That means she's a little skinnier then the other's her age (but still very healthy said the doc, no need to try and make her gain weight). And her mobility, alertness and all that development stuff she's advanced from kids her age. The Doctor said that she seems like a very happy baby. (She is :))

Ok, holding my child down to allow some poopy girls to cause her pain is pretty tough! Jake said I cried more then Elizabeth. E was good though, she only cried for about 3 seconds. I however cried for about 8 minutes.

Later that evening, around bedtime E started to get fussy, then she started to cry, then SCREAM! and SCREAM!!!!!!She was inconsolable!! We freaked out because she's just not like that. I called my friend Steve who is a P.A. at our doctors' office and he asked if her shot areas were swollen (yes, about 3x the size!), if they were red? (blood red!) and if they were hot to the touch (Her whole body was on FIRE!) He said "She's in a great deal of pain", I cried even more. He said to call the clinic and talk to the on call doc, we'd maybe have to go the Emergency room, it sounds like she's allergic. I called the clinic, they said "Oh sorry... try Tylenol or ibuprofen. If they don't work then go to the Emergency, looks like your gonna have a sleepless night. Bye" I could have killed someone! Why wouldn't they even warn us that this could happen??!!!!!! We don't know? We're new parents!!! We were not happy.

While Jake ran to the store I prayed and prayed and coddled E. I gave her a bath and we sang songs then I coddled her more and while we rocked in the rocking chair I applied pressure to the areas on her thighs where she had received her shots. She calmed. Jake came home and we gave her some Motrin for infants that helps relieve fever, pain and swelling -PERFECT! She took it and after a short while she was smiling again. UGH! Freak me out! It took a while later to get her to go to sleep and she needed more medicine the next morning, but she seems all well and good now.

Our Home Teacher who had come over to assist said that it was good that I applied pressure because that helped push the vaccines into her system faster and the fact that applying pressure helped her feel better was a sign that she is not allergic to the meds.

So, anyone who is going to have their kids get shots in the future FYI! We had NO clue! And I'm already dreading having to get more shots in two months.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the horrible day. I suggest giving QE2 the motrin even before she gets her shots next time so that it is already in her system. Sometimes you don't know until you go through it. Some kids are just fine, others get a slight fever and are cranky and then there's QE2's reaction. Sorry. It sounds like everything turned out OK.
Love ya, Kath

Bev said...

Hey Libby, We learned this the hard way too! I give the kids Tylenol 2hrs. before their shots and then I give them ibuprofen right after. Then I alternate between the two medicines every two hours. So they're getting Tylenol every 4 hrs. and Motrin every 4 hrs. PS. The kids seem to like these better when I refrigerate them. Don't know why, but they take it easier and actually like it.

Kristina said...

Ugh...maybe we won't have kids...I can't handle that!

Debbie said...

i am so sorry to hear about that. i cannot believe they forgot to go over the symptoms [and give you the paperwork on it] she might get, i guess they forgot. good luck with everything and i agree with what bev said, rotate the medicine. that helps a ton!